Wednesday, September 26, 2007

MySQL character sets, the end

Many times in the past I've tried to get our foreign MySQL server to properly store and handle unicode character sets. Despite the fact that I repeatedly set 'default-character-set=utf8' all over the config files and set the server and client character sets and collations in my.cnf, it still wouldn't handle them properly. Here's the kicker : to make absolutely sure that the server uses only server settings for handling character set (and sets 'fuck you' to whatever the client requests), you have to use the '--skip-character-set-client-handshake' argument when starting the MySQL daemon (server). This is what finally got it going for me. I hope this post helps somebody out someday. (Given my rate of forgetting things, it's likely to be me)

No comments: