Monday, February 05, 2007

Google and Firefox are officially fucking scary

To give you a little bit of background, I recently upgraded to Firefox 2.0 and I frequently use the hotkeys and search bar. A lot. More than you'll ever know. The Firefox search bar has had the ability to bring up entries that you've searched for in the past for quite a while, so I didn't notice this little trick until just recently :
When you have Google selected as your current search engine (I frequently use others as well, such as Wiki), it will automatically search for possible matches for what you're typing in and suggest them to even if you've never searched for it before. That in itself is a neat little trick, but the relevance of the results today astonished me when I wanted to search for the lyrics to "I believe in a thing called love" by The Darkness. I started by typing "the darkn" and right then and there "the darkness lyrics" was the third entry in the suggestion list. When I got to "the darkness i ", "the darkness i believe in a thing called love lyrics" was the first entry in the list. Is it just me, or has Google's seeming omnipotence combined with its usefulness and relevance gotten downright fucking disturbing ? I'm going to revel in this realization the rest of the day.

No comments: