Friday, September 18, 2009

Ubuntu 9.04 servers slow to login

Recently our production system's servers have been getting progressively slower, and it has finally gotten to the point where it's merited my full attention to remedy the situation. In my research on the problem, one of the things I came across was how incredibly slow the logins were (among other problems). After watching top during numerous logins, I saw that console-kit-daemon was going horribly slow and shooting the sshd CPU usage through the roof. After some time googling for issues related to console-kit-daemon, I found that many people were getting errors in their /var/log/daemon.log file regarding console-kit-daemon being unable to initialize policykit. After installing policykit, my logins to my production servers are now lightning fast

No comments: