Friday, December 05, 2008

The greatest MySQL companion ever

I just recently found out about the 'show processlist' command in MySQL that lets you get a resultset of all the processes MySQL is currently using and what query they're running. Today I was working in top monitoring the performance of our servers as I restarted our production server. MySQL popped up briefly on the top list of running processes and it occurred to me, "Wouldn't it be great of there was something like this for MySQL?". So while I was waiting, I popped open google, and ran a query for a MySQL and top. To my surprise, up came mytop. It's literally top for MySQL and it's so ridiculously useful you wouldn't believe it. Even better, it's got a .deb made for it and it's in the Ubuntu repositories, so installing it is as simple as running :

apt-get install mytop


It's a good day today :)

No comments: