Monday, March 31, 2008

Determining which version of Ubuntu you're running

At our company, we use Ubuntu to run our servers. Sure, there's other distributions with potentially better performance, but none so easy to setup, and that was the deciding factor in choosing which distro was going to run our systems because I had to set it up, and since I'm both developer and system administrator (*very* small company), I really don't have time to fuck around and I need to make things as easy on myself as possible. To that end, I've decided to start writing tutorials on everything I learn how to do, and I needed to make sure I note which version of Ubuntu / Linux I'm using. To that end, in order to determine which version of Ubuntu you're running, run this :
cat /etc/issue

I learned of this little trick from here.

*Edit (2008-10-29)*
A much better command for determining the current Ubuntu version you're running :
lsb_release -a

No comments: