Monday, June 04, 2007

It's there for a reason

I think that one of the things people realize when they start a new job (I haven't) is that the way things are done currently are done that way for a reason (most of the time, though definitely not always). Some past experience has been the basis for changing the way things were done before, and so now the new way of doing things is done to avoid some past (most likely bad) experience.
People then proceed with their work, and if they're not a fan of the way things are done, they do it their own way. In many cases, they'll encounter a previously encountered bad experience and realize why things are done they way they are. This has happened to me several times. And this happened to me right now while using Hibernate. I finally realized why they have the "saveOrUpdate" method on Session objects. Love those epiphanies.

No comments: