Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Correcting the default check-in action for associated work items in Team Foundation Server

I've found that it's a giant pain in the ass in TFS when associating work items to checkins because the default assocation action is 'Resolve' rather than 'Associate'. When I'm working on features, I like to do bits of functionality in units and check them in to source control in small batches to make my changes more manageable. Unfortunately, many times I've forgotten to change the association action when associating work items with change sets and it's resolved my issue instead of just associating the work item with the change set. This becomes problematic because it skews my records and metrics for how much time is spent working on a task. Fortunately one can change this in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\[Version Number]\TeamFoundation\SourceControl\Behavior

Quick fix.

No comments: