Sunday, August 04, 2013

Journey to robust web services: Fixing an error 404.3 message in IIS 7.0 / 8.0

I've recently had to go out of town, and only had my personal laptop to take with me. I usually develop in a Windows 7 environment with IIS 7.0 / IIS Express 7.5, but my laptop is Windows 8, so of course I have to go through the process of setting up my development environment all over again. One of the common errors I see when setting up a new environment is error 404.3: Not found. I run into it over and over again and when I fix it, it seems like such a trivial thing and I never remember to write down the fix to reduce my setup time in the future. Today that changes. The problem can be caused by a couple of things:
1) You don't have the application setup in IIS. You need to setup the application in IIS, *and* you need to point it to your web project directory.
2) You don't have all the requisite components installed in IIS. In order to properly install WCF, you must have IIS installed, you must have ASP.NET installed, and you must have WCF registered. Up to Windows 7 / .NET 4.0, this means you must have, at some point, run aspnet_regiis.exe -ir. On Windows 8, this means you must have installed ASP.NET 3.5 / 4.5, and installed HTTP activation for each (as well as corresponding activations for any other protocols such as net.tcp.

No comments: