Sunday, May 05, 2013

Journey to robust web services: my clients are unable to connect!

I've been testing out some web services I've been working on extensively on my own machine, but the time has finally come where I want to start making clients that aren't running on the same machine. In one case, I have a WCF service running on Windows 7, but the client I want to connect to that service is running on Windows 8 on a separate machine. When I tried to connect, I would get a variety of errors, the most common of which being that the socket on the server was forcibly closed. I Googled around a bit, and the most common cause of this problem that I found was that the server's quota's were being reached and therefore the client was being rejected, however this shouldn't have been the case for me since there was no way my quota's could have been reached. After further research, I found that since I don't want security (yet), I had to apply some settings in order for clients that weren't on my localhost to connect. In order to allow external clients to connect, I had to change the following :

  1. In my , I had to change my base address to use the network name of my computer (rather than localhost) in the base address URL.
  2. In the net.tcp and ws2007HttpBindings for my services, I had to go to the the child element of the elements, and explicitly set mode="None" on those elements, otherwise they may assume some form of security by default depending on the type of the binding.
Now, I did mention above that I don't want to add security (*YET*) being the important qualifier of that statement. Security is of course always paramount, and should always be baked into a product as early as possible. As soon as I get to it, I'll add a post about all the steps required to add security to your WCF clients and services, along with links to the relevant MSDN articles (and any other useful ones that I may find.

No comments: