Sunday, April 28, 2013

Journey to robust web services: debugging a net.tcp service

I'm creating a net.tcp-based WCF web service for use with my current project, and so far the learning curve hasn't been very shallow. I've just recently learned, thanks to this post on Stack Overflow, that the default ASP.NET application doesn't support the net.tcp protocol, so IIS must be used instead. With that in mind, I've decided to move on to just using the Web Service I'm creating through a Windows Service via a ServiceHost. However, I've now encountered some problems debugging the Windows Service startup. This page on MSDN contains links and instructions on how to debug the startup of a Windows Service. While attempting to install the Debugging tools, I encountered a failure trying to install them as part of the Windows 7 SDK. This page on Stack Overflow had a solution, but it wasn't quite complete. This page had the missing parts.

No comments: