Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Fixing telnet disconnects

I've recently been working with a lot of embedded systems via telnet, and I'll frequently forget to disconnect my session before physically disconnecting the machine from my local LAN. Unfortunately, this results in telnet hanging the session, and me being unable to do anything else. Until now, I've just closed the window and opened another, but that became a pain in the ass, especially when I had to discard my (very useful) terminal history. Apparently, you can rescue a hung telnet session and avoid having to kill your terminal session by pressing Ctrl+5. This sends a signal to telnet to end the current session and return you to a prompt. Incredibly useful. Looks like there's a ton of other stuff where I found this useful tidbit.

No comments: