Thursday, December 10, 2009

Useful GIMP tricks - Batch file conversion

Now that I've started having to do a lot more documenting for my job, I've found myself importing a lot of pictures taken as steps in tutorials and for providing figures. Since the camera gives us a nice, high-res version that's not really suitable for documentation, I have to scale the images down so that they're in a nice, readable size. When your tutorial has 30 steps, and an image (or even two or three) is required for *each step*, this can mean a lot of manual clicking, dragging, opening and saving in an image editor. Fortunately, GIMP has a plugin called Davids Batch Processor that allows you to easily do fairly simple transforms to file and output them in the format (that's most likely) of your choice. For the simple tasks of rotating, resizing (scaling) and exporting the images in a new format, this plugin's great. There's a tutorial on the site and the plugin itself has already proven to be exceedingly useful for me. I hope it will be for you too.

No comments: