Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Fixing Messenger when you've accidentally screwed it up

If you're like me, you like to have your Windows Live Messenger conversation windows be as simple and clean as possible, with no toolbars, and no contact pictures. To that end, I removed the toolbars from my messenger contact windows so that I wouldn't have to see them. However, this became a problem one day when I dragged a picture that I intended to send to someone into a conversation window, and instead of sending it to them, Messenger permanently changed the background of my chat windows with that person to that picture. To resolve this, I had to open a chat window with person X, press the Alt key to get the old-school windows standard toolbar to pop-up at the top, and then go to Tools -> Show toolbars -> Standard. Then from the standard toolbar, you can click on the 'Show Menu' button on the top right of the conversation window from the standard toolbar, and go to Tools -> Backgrounds ... . This wil take you to a screen where you can select a blank default background. However, dragging the picture may have changed the default background colour for the window, as it did in my case. To remedy this, you have to change the background colour to match the rest of the Messenger colour scheme, and you can do so by clicking on the paintbrush icon on the standard toolbar, and selecting a default background colour from there to make things consistent with the rest of the Messenger colour scheme.

No comments: