Monday, December 03, 2007

Deleting .svn folders

Subversion is a great tool, but unfortunately it has to store metadata somewhere, and like all other code repository tools, it stores them in metadata directories ... for each directory in whatever project you're working with. I recently found that I have to copy parts of my project documentation out for some of our clients to access our APIs, and I wanted to quickly delete all the SVN metadata and trim certain other files where necessary. I figured the quickest way to do with would be a simple command. Windows PowerShell provides a good (though not great, and certainly not as good as bash) way of doing it :


Get-ChildItem -Recurse -force |where {$_.PSIsContainer -AND $_.Name -match "svn"} | foreach ($_) {remove-item -force -recurse $_.fullname}


Two Google queries yielded the above command from this blog. Happy reading.

No comments: