Sunday, October 29, 2006

Wow

Today is officially my 21st straight day without a day off, though I suppose that technically this counts as a day off because I'm working on something I actually want to work on without getting bugged by anyone, and I'm not working on other stuff that's far more important. Suffice it to say that I'm working on a major project for my employer that's supposed to be taking the back-burner, but I like it enough to work on it in my free time. I've been realizing more and more of the power of Spring's dependency injection features by refactoring all my reusable code out into Interfaces and libraries. When I applied a total refactoring of this on my major back burner project (call it Project "Catch the Assholes"), I finished the refactoring and took a look at what was actually left, and I was quite shocked but not surprised: the only things left were my form and persistence beans, and my controllers. And there were so few connections between what was there that it could almost literally be counted on one hand, because everything was wired together through Spring's XML configuration. I've never decoupled my code to such a degree before and it was quite a pleasant surprise.

A second pleasant surprise I had not long after that was to go through Appfuse and see what it could add to what I had already learned, and I was surprised to see that it was very little. I'd like to take this as a sign that I've gained a lot of valuable knowledge and I'm moving my code to higher levels of cohesion and lower levels of coupling than ever before. I guess we'll see where this goes.

No comments: