Monday, April 23, 2007

Reading blogs pays off

I've recently been trying to read more and more developer blogs in the hopes of improving myself as a developer. One of the blogs I came across is Brian Burridge's, and he recently had a good post about a little utility called Denim. It's a storyboarding/diagramming tool that was originally meant for web developers to quickly model their sites, but I see no reason why it can't be used for user interfaces in general. The program's made in Java so not unexpectedly) its Swing UI is ugly as shit, but it's so functional it's insane. This is how I'd make an interface (though I'd try to pretty mine up), but they got the basics right: functionality before beauty. If you're a serious developer, I think you should at least give it a shot and play around with it. It's free, open-source, and made at an academic institution. BTW, I jacked the latter link right from his page to save anybody reading this some time, not to take away from his blog, which I think you should check out.

No comments: